Uganda

Uganda

Saturday 9 July 2011

Woot, woot!

Yesterday Alix and I had a really good day working on the ward. We were supposed to work on antenatal, but when we arrived in the morning Prossy told us that there were 4 women who were 8 to 9cm and would deliver soon, so we quickly grabbed our supplies and headed to the delivery room.
It was a day of feeling really competent. I managed to get two IVs in successfully without any assistance at all (I often need someone to at least connect the IV because the cannulas are heavy and I am always afraid of losing it if I let go). These two IVs have also been after several successful IVs and this has been a tremendous feeling as I had decided that IVs were the bane of my existence :)
I also made a good management decision regarding one of the births, properly assessing what was wrong, and what was needed, which was reaffirmed by the OB when I spoke with him.
Alix did an amazing job suturing a 2nd degree tear without assistance. It was a work of art and looked perfect, and all in an acceptable about of time.
She also perfectly handled a shoulder dystocia and was gentle enough that the woman had no tears.
It was great to have such a positive day as it rejuvenated us and has made us be able to look at our final 3 days of work with some equanimity.

Tomorrow we are going with Prossy to visit her family in one of the villages, so it should be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment